Alas my love you do me wrong,
To leave me so discourteously,
While I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.
These words from a fifteenth century song, Greensleeves, were a part of the inspiration for my paranormal novel with time travel, Delighting In Your Company.
My heroine, Amalie Ansett, finds herself in the unenviable position of falling in love with a ghost. Jonathan Evans was a plantation owner on the small Caribbean island of St. Clement’s in the early 1800’s. He died suddenly and violently and has walked the island ever since as a ghost, or, as the people there call the dead who walk, a 'jumbie'.
Amalie can see and hear and touch him as no one else has in two hundred years. It is up to her to help him find out what happened all those years ago. Why he is alive but not alive, dead but not dead.
The island in my book is based on a real one, St. Eustatius. I’ve had a home there for many years. Details in my book about jumbies and Obeah, the ancient religious practice brought by the slaves from Africa, are based on stories I’ve heard many times from local friends. There is a White Wall Road. And there is, according to local lore, a ghost who walks White Wall. The “real” ghost, however, is a woman. In my book I’ve chosen to change her into a man.
While I’ve been steeped in Caribbean culture for many years, I learned much in the course of researching the Caribbean of the eighteen hundreds. I have a large collection of books on the history of the Caribbean, some of them very old, and these were invaluable.
|Museum on St. Eustatius|
This book almost wrote itself. Once I became immersed in the tale, all that I love about the Caribbean Islands and their culture and peoples simply took over.
I hope you will enjoy reading Delighting In Your Company as much as I enjoyed writing it.
To her shock she discovered it was a ledger of slave sales, with descriptions and prices.
- 1 male and 2 females, household slaves to Jeremiah Johnston …. 425 guineas.
- 2 field workers to Emerson Gainsborough…. 250 guineas
- 6 field workers to John Taylor…. 1250 guineas
She was in a harbor full of wooden ships. A crowd of men, from the look of their clothing, planters, shopkeepers and businessmen, milled about the dock, shouting to one another, pushing and shoving, vying for position. The cacophony was ear splitting. A large vessel was pulled up to the pier. Naked male slaves, their ankles chained together, were shuffling down the gangplank and being herded into a holding pen. The smell of their fear and hopelessness hovered in the air.
Amalie heard a voice raised above the clamor and turned to see an auction block.
“And here we have a fine specimen from the Gold Coast. You all know there ain’t no stronger or better field workers than these. Turn around, boy. Let’em see you. So what am I bid? Come on gentleman.”
Bids started coming, fast and furious.
Horrified, Amalie watched as the young man was led away by the successful bidder.
When she turned back to the auction block she saw that it was occupied by an emaciated boy barely into his teens. Even in the hot tropical sun he stood shivering as the crowd jeered and the auctioneer turned him around for prospective buyers to examine.
“Ten guineas?” the auctioneer sneered. “Might as well give ’im away. What am I bid, gentlemen?”
• Romantic Road ~ Takes you on a chase across Europe with our heroine who finds herself in a series of precarious situations. She encounters a handsome stranger, but is he helping her, or is he dangerous? This story has hair raising suspense, romance and a sprinkling of humour
• The Memory of Roses ~ The story of a secret and how it impacts two generations of the McQuaid family. It unfolds on the beautiful Greek Island of Corfu and is a tale complete with beautiful and passionate women, handsome and fiery men, and an intriguing mystery.
• Delighting In Your Company ~ Delighting In Your Company is a paranormal romance set on an exotic Caribbean island, featuring a handsome ghost and an adventurous heroine who travels back in time to solve a mystery!
"Delighting In Your Company is a unique paranormal romance that brings together island folklore, history, and mystery with an unlikely romance between the past and present that had me going through a torrent of emotions and made it impossible to put down." -- The Romance Reviews
• Sonata ~ Sayuri McAllister has just arrived home to Vancouver to find that a robbery has taken place at her family home, and it is being investigated by her old flame. She also has a new stepmother with a charming brother who is intent on bedding and wedding the rich and beautiful Sayuri. It’s a confusing and difficult time for Sayuri, especially when dangerous accidents happen to her father and herself – or are they accidents?
• Abigail's Christmas (short story) ~ An enchanting tale of love and romance, with a magical touch of fantasy.
"Abigail’s Christmas is a sweet and special story that honors both love and the holidays." -- Sizzling Hot Books