My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I learned to cook in the 1970’s from Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It was my constant companion in the kitchen and I was known more than once to take it to bed with me at night to plan my next day’s adventures in the kitchen. It was all absorbing, a whole new way of thinking about food. In My Life in France, Julia Child tells the story of her early years in France; how she came to study at the Cordon Bleu in Paris and how she chose to use her knowledge of French cooking to change the way Americans thought about cooking. It is a delightful book full of the kind of effervescence Julia Child exhibited on her many television shows about cooking.
But while this book is, of course, about food, it is more about Julia’s life with her husband Paul in post-war France. There are wonderful photographs throughout the book, most taken by Paul Child. Her experiences are a who’s who of the culinary world of that time.
I recommend this book highly to anyone who has Julia Child’s cookbooks in the kitchen, or who has ever enjoyed her television shows. If you love to eat (or read about) a beautifully prepared meal, this book is a feast.
View all my reviews
Following are my own published novels. For further details about my books and all my reviews of books I have read, go to my Goodreads page.
• Romantic Road ~ Takes you on a chase across Europe with our heroine who finds herself in a series of precarious situations. She encounters a handsome stranger, but is he helping her, or is he dangerous? This story has hair raising suspense, romance and a sprinkling of humour
• The Memory of Roses ~ The story of a secret and how it impacts two generations of the McQuaid family. It unfolds on the beautiful Greek Island of Corfu and is a tale complete with beautiful and passionate women, handsome and fiery men, and an intriguing mystery.
• Delighting In Your Company ~ Delighting In Your Company is a paranormal romance set on an exotic Caribbean island, featuring a handsome ghost and an adventurous heroine who travels back in time to solve a mystery!
"Delighting In Your Company is a unique paranormal romance that brings together island folklore, history, and mystery with an unlikely romance between the past and present that had me going through a torrent of emotions and made it impossible to put down." -- The Romance Reviews
• Sonata ~ Sayuri McAllister has just arrived home to Vancouver to find that a robbery has taken place at her family home, and it is being investigated by her old flame. She also has a new stepmother with a charming brother who is intent on bedding and wedding the rich and beautiful Sayuri. It’s a confusing and difficult time for Sayuri, especially when dangerous accidents happen to her father and herself – or are they accidents?
• Abigail's Christmas (short story) ~ An enchanting tale of love and romance, with a magical touch of fantasy.
"Abigail’s Christmas is a sweet and special story that honors both love and the holidays." -- Sizzling Hot Books